This design was inspired by one of the most important inscription engraved in stone and written in ancient Hebrew script, describes the moment when the two groups of quarriers connected the tunnel they were digging. The tunnel routed the waters of the Gihon Spring to the Shiloah Pool within the City of David's boundaries. The tunnel was completed for King Hezekiah at the end of the 8th century BCE. This complex feat of engineering was part of the preparations to protect Jerusalem from the perceived Assyrian threat as described in Chronicles 2, 32-30
The inscription was discovered in 1880 and was then transferred to Istanbul, where it remains until this day.
Inscription translation : " (The) Tunneling (is completed). And this is the account of the tunneling: While the hewers were swinging their axe(s) one (group) towards the other with three cubits yet to be hewn a man's voice was heard calling out to his fellow (worker). For there was a fissure in the rock to the right and to the left. And on the day of the tunneling the hewers bore through, one man towards the other, axe upon axe, and the waters flowed from the source to the pool, one thousend and two hundred cubits, and a hundred cubits was the height of the rock above the heads of the hewers.